Weather Alert – U.S. Embassy Kolonia
March 24, 2018
Location: Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia
Event: The U.S. Joint Typhoon Weather Center in Pearl Harbor has issued a significant tropical weather advisory for the western and south Pacific oceans. The potential for the development of a significant tropical cyclone near Chuuk and Yap states within the next 24 hours is upgraded to high. Maximum sustained surface winds are estimated at 18-23 knots.
The U.S. Joint Typhoon Weather Center and the U.S. Embassy in Kolonia will continue to monitor the situation.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local weather reports for increased rains and winds.
- Keep a safe distance and do not touch downed electrical power lines or anything touching the line, such as a tree branch or another person. Don’t climb utility poles or trees near power lines. Contact with power lines is a major cause of electricity-related injuries and deaths.
- Do not touch anything electrical while you stand in water or while your hands are wet.
State Department-Bureau of Consular Affairs
+1-202-501-4444 (from other countries)
+1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada)
- Federated States of Micronesia Country Specific Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook