Social Security

U.S. citizens residing outside the United States can apply for a new or replacement social security card using Form SS-5-FS “Social Security Administration Application for A Social Security Card” (PDF 125KB).  U.S. citizens residing in the FSM can email the completed form along with a copy of their passport bio page to

FSM citizens, under the amended Compact, can apply for a social security number or card but only while they are physically residing in the United States. For FSM citizens residing the United States, please proceed to a local Social Security Office to submit the form.

If you reside in FSM and have questions regarding services provided by the Social Security Administration (SSA), you may contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located in the Philippines.  For more information on SSA services, please visit their webpage at:

For comprehensive information on SSA’s services abroad, please visit SSA’s webpage Service Around the World.

If you are already receiving SSA benefits payments, there will be no change in the method of distribution of those payments.