Issued: March 21, 2020
Location: Pohnpei, Chuuk, Yap and Kosrae States
Event: United Airlines reduced international and Pacific island flight schedules due to government mandates and restrictions prohibiting travel.
On March 21, United Airlines notified the Embassy of its reduced flight schedules internationally and in the Pacific island region. United’s reduced schedule will impact flights from Guam to Saipan, Palau and the FSM. The Full Island Hopper Service (Guam-Chuuk-Pohnpei-Kosrae-Kwajalein-Majuro-Honolulu) was suspended March 20 and will not be reinstated until April 13/14. Therefore, there will be no United flights in or out of Kosrae until April 13/14. The Short Island Hopper Service (Guam-Chuuk-Pohnpei-Chuuk-Guam) will continue and operate on Saturdays and Mondays. The Guam to Yap flight will be reduced to one flight per week on Sundays. Additional reductions are possible as COVID-19 continues to impact the airline industry. All passengers arriving at Chuuk, Pohnpei and Yap and International Airports should be prepared to be quarantined at a designated quarantine facility for a period not to exceed 14 days.
Please review United’s notice (attached) regarding their reduced international schedule impacting service to the Atlantic, Pacific, Latin American and Canadian regions.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 3 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
On March 11, the Department of State authorized the voluntary departure of non-emergency U.S. Government employees and all eligible family members due to stringent travel restrictions that affect commercial flights.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in FSM.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- US Embassy Kolonia
- +691 320-2187
- +691 920-2369 (after hours)
- Deparment of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
- +1-202-501-4444 (from other countries)
- +1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada)
- Federated States of Micronesia Country Specific Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook