An official website of the United States government

Important Services Information

Payment Methods & Details

Insert Local Payment information here.

Appointments & Locations

Parents of a U.S. citizen child born in the FSM should report the birth to the American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit. If the child was born an American citizen, the Embassy will issue a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). The parents typically also apply for the child’s first U.S. passport. All CRBA services are by appointment only; you can make an appointment by calling 691-320-2187

We strongly recommend, and retain the right to require, that both parents and the child be present for the CRBA interview. If you are applying for the child’s first passport at the same time as the CRBA, please note that both parents and the child must be present.

Other Information

Supporting documentation required for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad includes:

  • A completed Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad form DS-2029 (PDF 62 KB)
  • An original or certified copy of the child’s local birth certificate issued by an FSM hospital
  • U.S. passport(s) of parent(s), (or the alien parent’s passport if one parent is not a U.S. citizen)
  • Parents’ original marriage certificate or a certified copy
  • Evidence of termination of parent(s) previous marriage(s) (e.g., divorce or annulment decrees or death certificates). Original or certified copies only
  • Evidence of the child’s identity if the child is over 5 years old at the time of application for a CRBA
  • In the case of only one U.S. citizen parent, proof of the citizen parent’s physical presence in the United States


To apply for the child’s first passport in addition to the CRBA, you must provide:

  • A completed Application for a U.S. Passport form DS-11.
  • One passport photo (must be 2″ X 2″ (5 cm X 5 cm) with a white background)


To apply for the child’s Social Security card, you must also provide:

  • A completed application form SS-5-FS. (PDF 122 KB) (See link for complete instructions regarding applying for a Social Security card.)

After you fill out form SS-5-FS online, print it and bring it with you the day of your appointment. If you have trouble completing the form online, you can print it and complete it by hand.

Physical Presence

This is the actual time when the parent was physically within the borders of the United States. This means that any travel outside the United States, including vacations, must be excluded. Maintaining a residence in the U.S. does not constitute physical presence. Please submit old passports as evidence, including FSM passports used to enter or leave the United States. Other evidence, such as U.S. school transcripts showing periods of attendance, W-2 forms, pay stubs, utility bills, U.S. employment references, old letters, etc., may be required.

Note: Any periods of time spent overseas with the United States Military/Government or qualifying international organization (such as the United Nations) may be counted as physical presence in the United States for transmission of citizenship purposes. Time spent as a dependent of such person may also be computed as physical presence. Military records or other proof may be requested.

Additional Instructions

In cases where the American citizenship of a child is to be established, consular officers may request additional evidence of family relationship before a passport or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad can be issued. Such documentation may include marriage/family photos, remittance slips, pre-natal records such as pregnancy photos, hospital bills, sonograms or other medical records. In some cases, consular officers may request additional information.

These documents should not be mailed to the Consular Section. They should be presented in person at the time an application is filed at the Embassy that has jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of birth or current place of residence. 

Reasonable Accomodation

If you need reasonable accommodation for your appointment, we encourage you to request your accommodation immediately once you schedule your appointment. We make every effort to provide accommodations to persons with disabilities and medical conditions. Reasonable accommodations vary, depending on the situation and the person’s needs.
Examples of accommodations include, but are not limited to:

    • If you require a private appointment due to a medical condition or disability, we may schedule an alternative time for you to come in for your interview.
    • If you or your child has special needs that requires a private appointment in a quiet space without distractions, we may schedule an alternative time for you or your family to come in for your interview.
    • If you are unable to speak, you may be allowed to respond to questions in an agreed-upon nonverbal manner such as using pen and paper.
    • If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you may bring a sign language interpreter to translate during the interview if needed.
    • If you have low vision, we may provide you with communications in large print.

If you are unable to provide fingerprints because of a medical condition, including birth defects, physical deformities, skin conditions, you may qualify for a fingerprint waiver for certain fingers.

  • Interview waivers are only granted in extreme situations, such as having a medical condition that requires flying in an air ambulance.

The waiting room of the Consular Section and its restroom is wheelchair-accessible.