Message to U.S. Citizens: U.S. Embassy Kolonia (December 28, 2021)
Location: Federated States of Micronesia
Event: U.S. citizens may directly return to the United States with certain expired U.S. passports.
If you are overseas and your passport expired on or after January 1, 2020, you may be able to use your expired passport to return directly to the United States until March 31, 2022.
You qualify to travel on your expired passport if all the following are true:
- You are a U.S. citizen.
- You are currently abroad seeking direct return to the United States.
- You are flying directly to the United States, a United States territory, or have only short-term transit (“connecting flights”) through a foreign country on your direct return to the United States or to a United States Territory.
- Your expired passport was originally valid for 10 years. Or, if you were 15 years of age or younger when the passport was issued, your expired passport was valid for five years.
- Your expired passport is undamaged.
- Your expired passport is unaltered.
- Your expired passport is in your possession.
You do not qualify to travel on your expired passport if:
- You wish to depart from the United States to an international destination.
- You are currently abroad seeking to travel to a foreign country for any length of stay longer than an airport connection en route to the United States or to a United States territory.
- Your expired passport was limited in validity.
- Your expired passport is a special issuance passport (such as a diplomatic, official, service, or no-fee regular passport).
- Your expired passport is damaged.
- Your expired passport is altered.
- Your expired passport is not in your possession.
COVID19-Related Actions to Take:
- CDC Page on New Order: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html
- Amended Testing Order: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/fr-proof-negative-test.html
- CDC Press Release: https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p1203-covid-testing-tightens-intl.html
- U.S. Embassy Kolonia 1286 U.S. Embassy Place, Pohnpei
Kolonia, Federated States of Micronesia
- Phone: +691 320-2187 or +691 920-2369 (after hours)
- Federated States of Micronesia Country Information
- Follow us onTwitter and Facebook