Health Alert: Updated Travel Requirements for Travel to the United States – January 18, 2021
Last Updated: 1/29/2021
Effective January 26, 2021, all air passengers, including U.S. citizens, traveling to the United States from a foreign country must present either proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within three days of departure, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19. Airlines must confirm the negative test result or documentation of recovery for all passengers before they board. Additional information is available on the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.
For more info: Requirement for Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test or Recovery from COVID-19 for All Air Passengers Arriving in the United States | CDC
Waivers to the testing requirement may be granted by the CDC on an extremely limited basis when extraordinary emergency travel (like an emergency medical evacuation) must occur to preserve someone’s health and safety, and testing cannot be completed before travel. There are no waivers available for individuals who test positive for COVID-19. Individuals – or air carriers seeking to allow boarding by potentially qualifying individuals – who believe they meet the criteria for a waiver should contact the U.S. Embassy Kolonia at email: KoloniaACS@state.gov and telephone: +691-320-2187, and provide the information below. U.S. Embassy Kolonia will submit the request to the CDC for consideration.
The following information must be provided for each passenger seeking a waiver to the testing requirement:
- Name (family name/surname, given name), passport number and country
- Cell phone number including country code of passenger or head of household if family unit
- Email address of passenger or head of household if family unit
- U.S. destination address*Is U.S. destination home address?
- Departure date
- Flight itinerary
- Name of submitting entity if different from passenger
- Name of company submitting on behalf of passenger(s) (if applicable)
- Name of point of contact submitting on behalf of passenger(s) (if applicable)
- Phone and email address for POC submitting waiver request on behalf of passenger(s) (if applicable)
- Purpose of travel to the U.S. (provide brief explanation of why urgent travel is needed and how travel will contribute to health and safety of passengers(s))
- Justification for testing waiver (e.g. no testing available, impact on health and safety)
- Documentation to support justification for test waiver, if available (e.g. medical records or orders for medical evacuation)
To schedule a COVID-19 test, please contact your local state hospital:
- Chuuk Department of Health Services: +691-330-2210/2216/2217
- Kosrae Department of Health Services: +691-370-3199
- Pohnpei Department of Health Services: +691-320-2214/2215/2216
- Yap Department of Health Services: +691-350-2115/2114
Actions to Take:
- Visit the CDC’s website for more information before you book travel to the United States.
- Check with your airline or travel operator for information on how testing requirements and other restrictions may affect your plans.
- See the Embassy’s COVID-19 webpage for information about conditions in the Federated States of Micronesia
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Advisories, Alerts and the Federated States of Micronesia Country Specific Information.
- American citizens should enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
U.S. Embassy Kolonia
P.O. Box 1286
Kolonia, FM 96941
Duty Phone: +691-920-2369
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.