Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Kolonia, Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), January31, 2020
Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of pneumonia first identified in Wuhan, China, caused by a novel (new) coronavirus.
State local government actions: The FSM Department of Health and Social Affairs (DHSA) is currently enhancing surveillance at ports of entry. The FSM DHSA advises anyone who has traveled to the People’s Republic of China within the last 14 days who is experiencing flu symptoms to see a doctor or go to an emergency room as soon as possible.
The FSM DHSA will continue to monitor the outbreak and update the public on any developments. For more information about the novel corona virus (2019-nCoV), contact FSM DHSA at 320-2619/8300 or your local Health Department.
- Yap Department of Health Services: 350-2115/2114
- Chuuk Department of Health Services: 330-2210/2216/2217
- Pohnpei Department of Health Services: 320-2214/2215/2216
- Kosrae Department of Health Services: 370-3199
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website, for the most up-to-date information regarding enhanced screening procedures.
- Check with the airlines regarding any flight cancellations and/or restrictions on flying.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Seek medical care right away, if you traveled to Wuhan and feel sick or were exposed to someone who was in Wuhan in the last six weeks who has fever, cough, or difficulty breathing.
U.S. Embassy Kolonia, Federated States of Micronesia
+691 320-2187, +691 920-2369 (after hours)
State Department-Bureau of Consular Affairs
+1-202-501-4444 (from other countries)
+1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada)