Location: Yap State, Federated States of Micronesia
Event: The Yap State Department of Health Services reported an outbreak of diarrheal illness due to rotavirus. Rotavirus is highly infectious. It is characterized by vomiting and watery diarrhea for 3 to 8 days. Fever and abdominal pain also frequently occur.
This outbreak coincides with the 9th Micronesian Games on Yap, with hundreds of athletes, coaches and spectators visiting Yap State.
Actions to Take: Rotavirus can be prevented by practicing good personal hygiene and eating and drinking safely
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water, especially before handling food and after going to the toilet.
- Avoid touching your mouth and nose with your hands.
- Eat and drink safely: consume thoroughly cooked food and washed fruits, and drink safe and clean water (no tap water).
- If traveling to Yap State, it is recommended to bring personal soap and disinfecting wipes with you.
- US Embassy Kolonia
+691 920-2369 (after hours)
- State Department- Bureau of Consular Affairs
+1-202-501-4444 (from other countries)
+1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada)
- Federated States of Micronesia Country Specific Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook